Version 1.1 Modified 11 October 2016
Energy Umpire (ABN 47620264324) (we, our, us) recognises the importance of protecting the privacy rights of individuals. This policy tells you how we collect and manage your personal information. It applies to all the services provided by Energy Umpire. If you have questions about this policy please contact us.
The personal information we collect
Information that you provide on our website
When you use our service or our website, you may provide information about you that is related to the use of energy in your home or business. This includes for example information on your energy bill (including amount of energy you use and the amount of energy charges you pay), your address, your contact details and identity details. This information is either provided directly by you or entered by us from your bill that you upload to our website. If necessary we may also collect credit card or banking details, but only if necessary in order to provide the service to you.
Communications between us
We may store the emails and record phone calls or any other communications between us, including via social media like Facebook and Twitter, in order to respond to you and other users generally. We may communicate with you using any of these media as appropriate to the circumstances.
We may collect and store details of the services that you have used on the website, or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those services and to respond to your enquiries.
How we collect your information
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect in ways including:
- through your access to and use of our website;
- by electronic communication between you and us of various kinds including email, fax or text messages; and
- during conversations between you and our representatives.
What happens if we cannot collect your personal information
You are not required to provide your personal information to visit our website and to receive some of our services, but we are not able to assist you with switching to another energy provider unless you provide us with the necessary personal information. If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- we may not be able to provide some of our services to you, and some of our services may be more limited;
- we may not be able to provide you with information about services that you may want, including updates and information about changes to energy products and plans;
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences and your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
How we use your information
We collect information about you so that we can provide the services to you and to perform our business activities and functions. We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide services to you and to send communications requested by you;
- to contact energy retailers to assist you in switching your energy retailer;
- to answer enquiries and provide information or advice about our services;
- for the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes;
- to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
- to comply with applicable laws, regulation, and other binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator.
We will not sell your personal information to any third party.
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees, related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide services to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- energy retailers where required to make your switch easier; and
Direct marketing materials
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our services, or changes to energy plans and products, that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). You consent to us sending you those direct marketing communications by any of those methods. If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
Storage and security
We are committed to keeping your personal information secure. We store your information in Australia and in servers outside of Australia. We take reasonable precautions to protect it from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We maintain computer security, including using firewalls, IP access restrictions, passwords, limiting access to shared network drives to authorised and trained staff and undertaking precautions against virus attack.
Accessing and correcting information we hold
Please contact us if you wish to access or correct the personal information that we hold about you. We will make reasonable efforts to do so except to retain some information to the extent that we are required by law or for legitimate business purposes. Old back-up information may not be able to be amended.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
Your personal information is destroyed or de-identified when no longer needed.
Links to other websites
Where we provide some links to third party websites, we are not responsible for these third party websites. These links are provided for convenience and we do not endorse linked third party websites. We recommend that you check the privacy policies of these third party websites.
Complaints or questions
If you have any questions or have a complaint about breaches of privacy, please contact us setting out your question or complaint and your contact details. We will provide you with a written response within 30 days. If this is not possible we will provide a progress update and a completion date. If you are unhappy with the outcome and our further response, you have the right to lay a complaint with the Privacy Commissioner.